Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Brussel Sprouts


I don’t know about you, but I have terrifying memories of having to sit at the dinner table until I ate my brussel sprouts. Can you think of a substance nastier than brussel sprouts? I guess you could count COLD brussel sprouts as worse, but that’s about it. I don’t care if you cover them in cheese, douse them salt and pepper, or eat them very quickly so you don’t taste them. They’re just plain ga-ross! That vegetable symbolizes my ungratefulness with a lot of things, though.

I wish I could say that’s the only food I’ve pitched a fit about. Surely a person is allowed to break into a semi-tantrum over brussel sprouts, but when you add to that the surely thousands of foods I complain about, you start to see a problem. I consider it even more tragic that I also gripe about food that I actually like, but isn’t quite up to par to my apparently fancy taste buds. You know what I mean…well that plate of warm, sizzling fajitas just wasn’t the BEST I’ve ever had, or I could have had MORE spice to that spaghetti…it was practically inedible. Let’s not really mention when I roll my eyes at the prospect of just making something myself instead of going out to eat. Those are the REALLY low points when I dare use the term "brat".

 I’m reading Jen Hatmaker’s 7, and that’s on the heels of finishing Crazy Love by Francis Chan. I never really considered myself an ungrateful person and definitely not a selfish person, but alas, I am. I do the figurative stomping of the feet when it comes to food choices and many other parts of my life filled with complete comfort, when really how blessed am I that I actually have food, have spices, have choices! I actually have the excessive LUXURY of paying someone to cook food for me…sometimes I don’t even have to leave my car to get it! While I have heard the adage “Eat what you have…there are others who would LOVE to have that”, I don’t think I’ve really allowed it to be a personal mantra. Instead, it’s more of a casual thought.

 I must change this about myself. Not should. MUST. I have to show my children, myself, my circle of people that I am NOT driven by anything but Christ. I have way more of everything than I deserve and it’s time to quit holding on to things that aren’t truly important. Matthew 22:37-39 tells me that I am to love the Lord with all that I have and then love my neighbor as myself. It’s hard to admit it, but that direction does not include acquiring more and more while giving less and less. I don’t believe that God is against me enjoying life, including good food. I think he just wants me to realize that having more than you NEED is a call to help others, not an excuse to stay in our little cozy bubble. God, help me to do my part.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment