Monday, February 25, 2013

A Nervous Wreck...or Not...

My car was rear-ended on the way to work today. It was a good day. I know those two statements don't seem like they should be paired together, especially coming from a pessimist like me, but for today they go together like jam and toast. Please know that I was extremely upset about the wreck and a ball of nerves for awhile. I think that when you hear that loud crash, no matter how bad, you just assume that everything is wrong...your car, the other cars zooming past you, the weather, your children who aren't even near you. Until you experience that the world is okay...it was just a little bad car luck, then your day seems to stop. In my process of realizing that the world was not ending, I spent a great deal of time praying...that I would extend grace for the other driver, that no one would be upset with me for the delay this caused, and that God would take my anxiety about this situation. I praise God for being in control when I have none and thank Him for safety today.

We have a saying around my house lately--started by me--that says "The old Bethany would have _____". I use it when I refer to a situation I would have previously tried to control but that I now give to God. Well, the old Bethany would have called this guy a maniac, cried uncontrollably for a really long time, and been so devasted when I got home that I would have nearly just crawled into bed. However, I am choosing to pray to God more and let Him take these burdens. I still get angry, frustrated, concerned, and anxious. Today I was all of those. The difference is that now I am seeing those as feelings that God wants me to experience and lean on Him to carry...not solve myself.  I can only claim this truly because of what God has done in my life.

So, today is a good day. It is a day I was fine from being rear-ended. It is the day that Mr. Jones was working on a car that suddenly caught on fire but didn't burn him at all. It was the day he bought me lunch. It is also the day I resisted checking emails 10,000 times and trusted all would be well without little ol' me. It is the day that Oliver's hair glistened like sunlight and Graham nestled up for a hug without me begging. It was a good day because it is the day that the Lord made...I have nothing else to do but rejoice and be glad in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment